The Animation Educators Forum is proud to announce its 2020-21 academic year scholarships. Last year, the AEF awarded over $30,000 in scholarships to eight students.
We are accepting applications for academic year 2020-21.
Our online application site scholarships.animationeducatorsforum.org will go live on March 8, 2020. The deadline for applying is June 15, 2020.
Scholarship awards will be announced after June 15, 2020.
CRITERIA AND AWARDS
Our scholarships are merit-based awards designed to support college students in continuing their education in the field of animation. Awards may range from $2,500 to $5,000 and be applied to:
- books and supplies
- formal academic research
- animation equipment (including computer hardware and software)
- senior or graduate projects
In addition, all scholarship award winners will receive a 1-year associate membership to ASIFA-Hollywood.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship award, the following MINIMUM criteria must be met:
- Applicants must be undergraduate students entering their second year of study or above. Graduate students at all levels are also invited to apply.
- Applicants must have a grade point average of 2.5 or above.
- Applicants must be attending a college, university or trade program in the field of animation that is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency.
- Applicants must plan to attend the both semesters of 2019-20 academic year. Students planning to attend only a portion of the year (ex. Spring semester) are NOT eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applications will only be considered for the semester(s) that the student will be actively attending classes. Awards cannot be “reserved” for Spring semester classes nor during a Leave of Absence.
- To receive the scholarship funds, the awardee must be able to provide proof of registration for Fall 2020. Special accommodations may be made for award winners attending Accredited Institutions with academic calendars that do not align with the common Fall/Spring semester schedule.
- Students cannot be awarded the ASIFA-Hollywood’s Animation Educators Forum Student Scholarship for two consecutive academic years. Recipients of the Scholarship in the previous year (2019-20) are ineligible for this year.
- All applications must be completed by 11: 59 PM PST on June 15, 2020.
- Applications from international students are welcome.
Application materials will include:
- A short biography (500 words maximum) describing the applicant’s experience as an animation major. (Tips: This could include why you chose animation, a course or teacher that has been meaningful to you, your participation in your school’s animation club, and any animation-related internship or work experience that you have had)
- A proposal (1000 words maximum) for the scholarship describing how the award will be used and how that will benefit the applicant’s goals in animation. (Tip: Stay on target – know how you intend to use the funds and communicate that clearly. For example, tell us about that incredible project you have planned and how the award will help you complete it – support your request with proof of concept artwork, a project timeline and measurable goals.
- An estimated budget (500 words maximum) describing how the funds will be spent. For example, the budget might include a list of equipment, itemized travel expenses or tuition. (Tip: Please use realistic estimates that you have researched and be as specific as possible. Your budget should be related to your proposal for the use of scholarship funds. Bad example: $1000 for creation of animated short – far too vague and may be unrealistic. Good example: $699 for 1 hour of voice acting quoted from voicebunny.com)
- A formal abstract for an academic paper, an animation reel (2 minute maximum) and/or still art (10 piece maximum) demonstrating the applicant’s strengths and/or artistic breadth
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a faculty member that is familiar with the work of the applicant, and one from a current ASIFA member OR an individual with verified professional animation experience (see note below)
If the applicant is unable to secure a recommendation from an ASIFA member in the area, his/her school or faculty member may join any ASIFA chapter to fulfill this requirement. If the applicant is unable to find a willing party, he/she may substitute a recommendation from an individual with professional animation experience that may be verified by the Animation Educators Forum.
If locating an ASIFA chapter/member or animation professional is too difficult, the applicant should contact Dori Littell-Herrick (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss other possibilities.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION PROCESSES
A panel of animation educators and professionals will judge the completed applications. Awards will be announced after June 15, 2020. All awardees will receive written notification from the AEF Scholarship Committee after June 15, 2020. Information on the status of applications will not be released by email until the awards have been formally announced.
Members of ASIFA-Hollywood’s Animation Educators Forum Scholarship Committee will stay in touch with the awardees throughout the scholarship year. All awardees will be required to provide ASIFA-Hollywood with:
- Permission to use the awardee’s artwork and/or scholarly writings in promoting the Scholarship
- Midyear and Final Reports that document how the scholarship was utilized
- An essay describing how the award supported his/her educational goals
- A reel, collection of still images or academic paper showcasing the student’s creative and/or scholarly work
- An image that may be used for promoting the scholarship
For specific questions, please contact us though email to email@example.com.